Sunday, March 21, 2010

First look: Character

As my last post indicated, I finally, finally, finally got to playing this week. As I find plot and character most appealing (call it the English student in me), allow me to treat one of these first :)



Lightning: Lightning is Paine from X-2 with her hair dyed pink, which is neither a jab at Lightning nor Paine. Stand-offish with just enough humanity to allow for sympathy, she scores points (from me, at least) for not taking any of the crap Snow and Hope sling around. On the battlefield, she does fancy jumps!! And has a horse that could almost be a unicorn!! What's not to like?


Snow:I was trying to locate a particular picture of Snow. FYI, never, and I repeat, NEVER type in "ffxiii snow shirtless". You come across many pictures of shirtless men who are not Snow (I found the picture anyhow. It will feature in a future post, as soon as I am able to wash out my eyeballs sufficiently). There might have been a time in my youthful girlhood where I would have appreciated such a man. As stated earlier, Lightning punches him so I don't have to, which is great. While I appreciate his loyalty, his undying love, his persistence, his optimism, his muscular chest, wait, what was I saying? Right. I think I am most offended by his overly earnest dialogue and the 2-dimensional character that results. All the right sentiments are there. I'd just prefer it if I didn't feel like puking a little after he shared his feelings.

Sazh: I quite like him so far as a character. He stands up to Lightning, looks out for the kids, and has a chocobo living in his hair!! I hope you gathered that I was just kidding about the Sazh/Vanille pairing, and I hope that no fics actually exist of this (although to each their own). I am also afraid to look.

Hope: I have admittedly warmed up to the kid since my last post, but I have a feeling that this might be short-lived, given his plot-line. I think, perhaps, to give Square-Enix the benefit of the doubt, that the creators were reacting to a general fan dislike of Vaan from ff12. Instead of an overly-positive boy in his early teens, then, their solution was the provide us with the absolute antithesis. This is not an effective strategy. Just because he's a cute kid, doesn't mean he gets to be emo. No one gets away with being emo. No one.

Vanille: In Cocoon script, Vanille's name translates as "Fan service". Because, really? Her perkiness (and by that, I mean her personality, thank you) is not offensive, so far, and she works well with Sazh. Oh yes. She works in the best way possible (on the battlefield).

That is actually as far as I've gotten, in terms of playable characters. Fang is floating around, but so far, she has only taken up Lightning's place as "beater-of-Snow", which has been comforting. Slowly losing the ability to write. That must mean it's time for bed.

3 comments:

  1. I hate every character in the game (so far) except for Lightning. She's a more realistic portrayal of a soldier fallen into a state of frustration and devotion to an ideal cause. I love the fact that she acts like an actual soldier. Trained and desensitized.

    Everybody else is just a shitty Anime stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh...i actually don't like lightning at all...she gets really inconsistent...i get the whole "i'm confused" bit and all, but she should at least have standards...T_T I like fang...she's like a christina from season 1 of grey's but less angry =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor Stu. Sazh has in fact grown on me (unless you already know something that I don't). I don't mind stereotypes, as recognizable traits are inevitable, but you're right, the way they've created some of these characters is like...eating candy that's too sweet, if that makes any sense? :P

    Hera: I like Lightning so far. But as I said, you likely know something that I don't :P
    lol there is a scene where Fang toys with her interns? :P I haven't seen much of her yet in the game. gah.

    ReplyDelete